Saturday, January 28, 2012

Review: Every Other Day


Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


While Every Other Day started out a bit slow the story is so worth it. Jennifer Lynn Banes has a way of creating a world you can get lost in. Kali is a human girl who goes to school except that Every Other Day she is something more. Every Other Day she can fight supernatural beings that stalk the night. Also if she doesn’t hunt them then they will come after her, so what is a girl to do? Kali’s mom left her when she was young and she hides her extracurricular activities from her father. He is a scientist who is so caught up in his life that he doesn’t see that Kali just wants him to notice her and ask her what is going on in her life.

Even though Kali is a pretty girl, she keeps to herself in school and has never had a friend. She knows that the best thing for her is to keep a low profile, but with a dad who is non-existent it’s hard to not feel lonely. During a pep rally Kali accidentally says that she wishes she had a friend and Skylar, the school outcast, hears and offers to be her friend. Kali isn’t sure it’s a good idea but the two build a great friendship that helps Kali more than she could have thought.

Kali’s father would love it if she became friends with Bethany, the popular girl at school whose father could help his career. Kali’s only interaction with Bethany is to lure a creature out of Bethany in order to save her life. Once the creature is out of Bethany and inside Kali, her plan consists of surviving the night and hoping that her blood will kill the creature. Bethany is not one to to feel like she needs saving or have to be indebted to outcasts like Kali or Skylar, so she plans on helping Kali. The three form an unlikely trio who will need each other if Kali has any hope of surviving. To make matters even more interesting, it seems that the parasite inside of Kali is a link to a guy who is trapped and Kali can’t help but feel an intense connection with him and goes in search of him and although she wants to do this alone Skylar and Bethany decide to help her locate him, but there will be consequences they could never imagine with the path they've chosen to take.

There is so much mystery and suspense that Every Other Day will keep you captivated. I read Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes and she is a master at creating strong female characters. I would not be surprised if Every Other Day ends up as a movie. Pick up a copy of Every Other Day today!

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book too! Very different from a lot of other books I've read in the past. So glad you liked it too!

    -Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds awesome
    hoping2read soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ADORE Jennifer Lynn Banes. I loved her werewolf books, and she's such a sweetheart in real life, it makes reading her books all that much more worth it. Can't wait to tear into this one!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! I completely agree, Jennifer Lynn Barnes can really write strong females. I always leave her books wishing I was as strong as the MC. I would be so excited if they made Every Other Day a movie, but I would also settle for a sequel :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about strong female characters. That was one of the things I really liked about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do need to read thins book! I haven't read any of Jennifer Lynn Barnes' books but it seems like this book be a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this book but I need to check it out! I love the cover of it.

    ReplyDelete