Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review: Cinder


Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Narrated by Rebecca Soler

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars


Cinder is such an amazing story! Marissa Meyer’s retelling of Cinderella as a cyborg is a fresh unique spin with wonderful storytelling. I’m not a sci-fi fan but trust me when I tell you that it’s not a requirement to love this novel. Cinder lives with her step mother and sister after her adopted father passed away. He adopted her after a terrible accident that left her so near death they added cyborg parts to replace limbs she lost, so she could pull through. This is why I feel like you don’t have to love sci-fi because when someone loses a limb we can replace it with a prosthetic part right? Well in Cinder it’s similar only it’s much more advanced. Cinder is treated as a second class citizen because she is cyborg and after her step-father passes away her stepmother sees her as a burden and wishes she could just get rid of her. Cinder goes without the comforts her sister gets and spends her days working as a mechanic.

Cinder enjoys working because it keeps her away from her step mother and she a really great mechanic. What seemed like a routine day quickly changes when Prince Kai walks into her shop needing her to fix his personal robot. Cinder is stunned to see the prince in her shop but also that he seems so kind to her and doesn’t appear to notice she is cyborg. Cinder has always kept a level head about the prince and unlike most girls she doesn’t swoon for him. She decides to help him but instead of a simple task she finds herself falling for him. Hello handsome prince, I would fall for him too! Cinder has a lot to lose, but will also find out who she truly is and how she can change the future. I will warn you that Cinder ends on a CRAZY cliffhanger but fear not that the story will continue in Scarlet the next book in the series which will be published in 2013. If you are thinking that seems too long then you can catch Glitch the prequel free online.

9 comments:

  1. I have almost picked this up multiple times. Sounds so intriguing! And I'm not usually into sci-fi type stuff either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seen this book, but I put it away to get something else... but your review just made me interested now. And it is a series. awesome. thanks cari!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cover of this book and now that I've read your review, I know what it means. I'm not usually a huge fan of cyborgs, but if they get to wear nice shoes, pain-free, I'm in! :-)
    Thanks for the review--sounds like an inventive retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see a new take on a old classic. The cover caught my eye when it first came out, but now it really sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wanted to read this one for sooo long!!! I'm now buying it on my kindle to read on the plane!!! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds fantastic. What did you think of the narration?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I for one loved Cinder. It was so good and I loved your review. I also didn't know that Glitches was out there. A prequel for those that want to know how Cinder ended up that way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you liked it. I really enjoyed the book and the audiobook of Cinder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love retellings so I was thinking about giving this book a shot! I think I'll have to move it up on my TBR! Thank you! <3

    ReplyDelete