Thursday, March 8, 2012

Audio Review: Partials by Dan Wells


Partials by Dan Wells
Audio Book
Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


I have not loved a dystopian novel this much since Hunger Games and Divergent. Seriously where has Dan Wells been all my reading life?!?

I know what you're thinking, another dystopian novel, but seriously this is coming from a person who isn't a big fan of end of the world novels! When I first stumbled across the cover back in September I was intrigued. Then after seeing the novel on audibles I thought Hey I need that! Partials is 14 hours but the combination of dramatic storytelling and a wonderful narrator you will feel like you want the book to never end!

There were so many points in the story where I thought, "oh no this is the cliff hanger ending", but the story continued! I will say that I was very surprised not to see a love triangle or a big romance taking center stage but don't let it deter you because there is so much heart, loyalty, action and suspense to make up for it!

Keira lives in a world where humanity as we know it is over. There are only a few hundred survivors and every time a child is born the baby dies. The government that is left has passed a law that all women over the age of eighteen must be pregnant at all times. They hope that eventually a child will survive. What caused the world to go into chaos? The Partials. The Partials where made in a lab as soldiers to fight a war. They look like humans, but they don't age and can't reproduce. They are harder to kill, making them excellent in winning a war. Only they turned on humans and released a virus that killed practically everyone. The humans that are left fear and hate Partials and have isolated themselves on Long Island while the Partials roam the rest of the US.

Keira is a medical intern and she doesn't understand how having more babies will solve anything. The hospital conducts studies on the adults and babies before and after their deaths, but she sees this as a dead end. How can studying the same thing over and over, year after year, not give you the same results? Keira feels the key has to be in the Partials. She approaches the doctors and explains her theory about the Partials but they quickly shut her down. This becomes an even more pressing issue when her best friend Madison tells her she is expecting a baby. Keira explains to her friends that she believes studying a Partial might be the only way to save her friend. Marcus, her boyfriend goes into protector mode and wants her to forget it but Madison's husband Haru and her brother Jayden think she might be right and agree to help Keira.

Keira and her group will run into a million obstacles, but they go forward knowing that they're risking their lives and accept it, if it means there's a chance to save humanity. I can't tell you how strong Keira is. She is determined and willing to risk it all! Jayden stole a part of my heart which leaves me breathless! I have really only scratched the surface on how amazing this novel really is. Trust me when I say you have to read or listen to this book.

I'm ready for Fragments book two in the Partials series to be released in 2013. I am also planning on going back and reading Wells' other novels. I leave you with a mission of your own, can someone bring Dan Wells to Texas ASAP?!?

5 comments:

  1. Oh man oh man this sounds awesome.
    I had it marked to read but now I'm thinking audio is the way to go.
    How was the voice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should get it after all!! I passed on it because I was slightly tired of Dystopian Stories to be honest but.. some just have to be read! Or listened to, maybe I get the audio! Thanks :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT review!! Can't wait to read it now! If you say that it's just as good as The Hunger Games and Divergent, I know I'll love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh if you are putting it on the same level as the hunger games I am def checking this book out! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I'm reading this at the moment and I'm loving it. I met Dan Wells last night and asked him about TX. He said he'll be in Houston in July, so get ready girl!! :D

    ReplyDelete