Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review: Something Like Normal

Something Like Normal by Trish Doller

Release Date: June 19, 2012

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


Something Like Normal is that rare find that really moves you and will capture your heart. Travis is a Marine on leave who goes home after losing his best friend Charlie. Home, for Travis, is pretty much the last place he wants to be. He joined the Marines to get away from his family. Parker, his girlfriend, left him to be with his brother while Travis was in Afghanistan. Going home was really a last resort and if anything Travis hopes to get past the nightmare of losing Charlie, but the stress and drama at home seems to make matters worse instead of helping.

The one bright spot is running into Harper, the first girl Travis ever kissed. Only, like everything else, their first encounter doesn't go smoothly thanks to rumors that Travis started about her in middle school and when things got out of hand he never put a stop to the rumors. I will say that Harper’s reaction to Travis was one of my favorite moments in the book!

Trish really has a way of making all the relationships complex and full of layers that both Travis and the reader have to peel away to get further into the story. I really enjoyed how present Charlie is throughout the entire story and he isn't forgotten after the first few chapters. As the story progresses Travis starts to unravel and while he finds small ways to cope he really needs to mourn for his friend. There were so many times I wanted to reach in and comfort Travis. I believe that when I get so invested in characters then it's a sign of great writing.

Something Like Normal is Trish Doller’s first novel and it’s safe to say it’s the strongest debut novel I have read so far in 2012. Trust me you will fall in love with Travis! Something Like Normal reminds me of why I love reading.

To learn more about Trish visit: http://www.trishdoller.com

5 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to reading this book! Your review reminded me just how great it's going to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking I will have to have a box of tissues with me when I read this one. I'll be looking forward to reading it this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this review, Cari :-) It just reaffirms my NEED to read this ASAP. I can hear it calling to me on my Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. adding it now! you've never steered me wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just starting this one, but I'm already preparing to love it based on all the rave reviews I've already seen. :)

    ReplyDelete