Thursday, June 28, 2012

Audio Review: The Calling by Kelley Armstrong


The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

Rating 3 of 5 Stars


I was really excited to listen to The Calling by Kelley Armstrong after listening to The Gathering, the first book in the Darkness Rising series. I felt that The Gathering was more background and really a lead in to The Calling which is odd for a first novel. When I finally listened to The Calling I was kind of disappointed. This is my first time reading Kelley Armstrong’s books and now I feel like I need to go back and read The Darkest Power trilogy to understand what will happen in the next book. Also I feel like The Calling and The Gathering could have been combined into one novel. From what I can tell it looks like you need to know what happened in The Darkest Power series because some of the characters will appear in the Darkest Rising series. Again, I’m guessing because I haven’t read The Darkest Power trilogy and since The Calling and The Gathering were written afterward I would hate to find out what happened previously, because I might want to go back and read it at a later time. I had bloggers tell me that I would need to read the Darkest Power trilogy, but I figured it would be something minor. But it doesn’t seem that way. I’m not sure if I am invested enough to read the next book or if I want to go back and read the previous series. Most likely I will put this series aside for a while.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm...I'm disappointed. I didn't really enjoy the 1st in The Darkest Powers, so I was hopeful for this series. I love her 2 adult series. Women of the Otherworld & Nadia ? Series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said in this review, especially that the two books could have been combined. Also, I felt that I probably should have read the other series first because information was missing. Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. That sounds like a lot of reading to get to this book.....

    ReplyDelete