Sunday, July 8, 2012

Audio Review: Gilt by Katherine Longshore


Gilt by Katherine Longshore

Rating 4 of 5 Stars


I think I need to stop saying I don't like historical novels because Revolution, Born Wicked and Gilt will make people think I don't know what a historical novel is. I listened to Gilt on audio and Jennifer Ikeda did a great job as the narrator. I started thinking I had an English accent. If you haven’t heard anything on audio I would highly recommend any book narrated by Jennifer Ikeda.
The story is told by Catherine Howard’s childhood friend, Kitty. Kitty and Cat are inseparable and there isn’t anything that Kitty won’t do for Cat. Cat is picked to go to court, but she promises her friend that she will find a way of getting her to court as well. Cat does so when she seduces King Henry and he marries her. I will say Catherine Howard is a complete bitch. I think Katherine Longshore did a great job of making you hate her and just when you think it can't get any worse it really does. Kitty is faithful to Cat even though Cat doesn’t deserve it and it seems everyone can see it except Kitty. I found myself driving down I-45 while heading to and from work and suddenly yelling at Kitty to get a backbone. When Kitty gets on Cat’s bad side the queen threatens Kitty that she could start a rumor that Kitty prefers women. Cat of course knows that it’s not true, but a rumor like that could ruin Kitty and who would question the queen. This is just one of many ways that Cat shows her wicked ways.

I found it hard to stop listening to Gilt and I would stay in the car long after I arrived at home or work just waiting to see what would happen next. Gilt is Katherine Longshore’s debut novel and all I can say is I’m ready for her next book! Gilt is available in stores or online.

To learn more about Gilt read Katherine’s guest post from May.

5 comments:

  1. Great review, Cari! I've been wanting to read this, but have put off buying it since I have so many other books at home that I need to read. I just earned another Audible credit, so I might need to use it for Gilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to a couple of the Flavia de luce mysteries, and my family thought I was nuts because I would start talking with a British accent. Jayne Entwistle was the reader, I believe. Would recommend anything by her (not sure I spelled it right, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize this was a historical. Henry VIII? Hmmm...could be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so good. And I loved that it made you stay in the car. That happens to me all the time and is the true mark of a good audio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard amazing reviews for this book. I'm glad that you liked it! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete