Monday, July 23, 2012

Audio Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern


The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars


Listening to Night Circus on audio was touch and go sometimes. Jim Dale, the narrator, is the same person who narrated the Harry Potter series and while he did get the feel of the historical novel sometimes it felt slow. I wavered between knowing I could read the book faster or just keep listening to the audio because I could never make the story sound as good in my head. In the end I stuck with the audio. Author Erin Morgenstern does a great job of making the book come to life and I say this because I felt I was in every room and every tent in the circus. I will say that I’m a bit surprised, because when I first started the novel I thought it was Celia Bowen’s story, but really it’s much more than that. I won’t go into too much detail so I don’t give it away, but I will say that Night Circus felt like an experience instead of just reading a book. If you are used to reading YA then Night Circus will feel slow, but if you keep with it then you will find the magic in the book.

4 comments:

  1. I had the hardest time keeping interest in this one. It's lovely. Almost floral. But sooooooooooooooo slow. I'm thinking I will try again some day. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got this book waiting in my stack to read...and waiting.... Audio might be a good option since I do love Jim Dale, but I'll be prepared for it to feel slow. Thx for always reviewing the books I'm wondering about.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one, and I think that was probably best for me, especially the way you're describing the slow audio. Plus, I enjoyed flipping back and forth and trying to figure out what year it was and how far along in the contest the characters were. That's the thing I usually miss most when listening to an audiobook, being able to flip back when I'm trying to form a theory or something. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one on the shelf here. And Look forward to giving it a go. :) Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete