Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Review: Dear Teen Me


Dear Teen Me edited by E. Kristin Anderson and Miranda Kenneally

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


One of my must visit sites when I get online is http://dearteenme.com/ I can seriously spend hours reading author's letters. When I first started reading YA I figured that the author's main character was about themselves and it took reading a lot and going to author events to find out that's not the case, but with Dear Teen Me you get a peek into what your favorite authors were like as teens. Reading letters by Miranda Kenneally, Geoff Herbach, Ilsa Bick, Ellen Hopkins, PJ Hoover, E. Kristin Anderson really made me smile. I couldn't be prouder of my friend Stephanie Pellegrin, to see her first story published. I love that Tom Angleberger did his letter in drawings! I also thought that the short Q&A sections were great and something I haven't seen in an anthology before.

Dear Teen Me is not only a great book for fans of YA, but I also think it could be a great teaching tool. I say put a copy of Dear Teen Me in classrooms and maybe it will inspire teens to write letters to themselves. I would love to see Dear Teen Me group signings and I know after reading some of the letters I said to myself, I need to get their book! Dear Teen Me will be out October 31, 2012 and I say pick up multiple copies and give these to the teen(s) in your life, writers, schools and friends! I also hope that we will see a Dear Teen Me Volume 2 with additional writers!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! Ahhhhh the things I would tell teen me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sounds like a book every teacher should have in their classroom! Def! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds cute. I like reading stuff like this too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an interesting concept. But I've been wondering if I should buy it for my high school library. Would teens enjoy it? I think, after you comments, that I will get it, and also make sure my teachers are aware of it.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete