Tuesday, September 11, 2012

BBAW: Interview with Janicu's Book Blog


Day two of Book Blogger Appreciation Week is Shine a Light where bloggers interview one and other. I would like to welcome Janicu from Janicu's Book Blog!


Tell us about the person behind the blog?
Oh, this is a tough one. It's very difficult for to describe myself.. Let's see. I live in New York (outside NYC), with my cat and husband. I am a low key sort -- my ideal evening would involve staying at home or hanging out one-on-one with friends at lunch. I love little puzzles, prefer the mountains over the beach, cities to the country, and dry wit to physical humor. I listen to a lot of NPR. I adore The Golden Girls and romantic BBC miniseries. I traveled a lot as a kid. As for the reader side of me - I've always loved to read. I started off in Mystery, fell for Fantasy, and eventually came to the conclusion that I am an unabashed romantic. That doesn't mean I just read romance. It means I really like some element of a love story in whatever I'm reading. I read a lot of speculative fiction, YA, urban fantasy, and contemporary romance.

How did you start blogging and what is your motivation for keeping it going?
I started off with a personal blog and then sort of stumbled onto book blogging a couple of years after deciding I wanted to read 100 books a year, and then decided I really needed to keep better records of what I read. After probably a year of book blogging (I believe this was in 2007), in which I had three subscribers (me, my husband, and my best friend), I found out that there were OTHER PEOPLE who blogged about books! Eventually my blog became a way to connect to other people who were just as enthusiastic about books as I was. My motivation to keep it going is just the infectious excitement of sharing books with other people. It can be tiring to write a review, but I also really like the exercise of really thinking about what I read and what I felt about it and why. I do wish words came out faster than they do though. Still working on that one.

What is the best and worst thing about blogging?
The best thing about book blogging is finding your soulmates. You know, those other readers who are just as rabid as you are. I have friends, and they read, but not like I do, and not always the same types of books as I do. To find those people who are more like me, I have to take to the Internet. I think the worst thing about blogging and connecting to others about something you love is that while it can lift you up and make you enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the positive aspects of the industry, the Internet also has an ugly side so there are some pockets of drama that I find depressing (especially when I stumble on people who have negative or misinformed opinions of book bloggers). That can be hard, and in some cases a bit scary.

What has been your most embarrassing moment when blogging?
Years ago I wrote a review without a book in front of me and I misremembered the main character's name. My whole review had multiple instances of the wrong name, and an anonymous (and nasty) commenter said something that boils down to calling me an idiot. I am really bad at remembering names, so was an honest mistake which I fixed ASAP, but now I double check that and wince when I see someone else do it (or misspell the author's name in a review).

How do you stay involved in the book community (online or in real life)?
Twitter! If I'm not blogging I will at least be on twitter, talking to people about books. That's where I learn the sort of book blogging "word of mouth" of what's going on in the book world - what people are talking about and reading and the buzz on books people are enthusiastic about. In real life, I think BEA is the one thing I go to each year to stay revved up about blogging. I really like meeting other bloggers there and talking books with them.

I have a LOT of favorites. Chachic's Book Nook, Book Harbinger, Angieville, The Book Smugglers, Lurv a la Mode, See Michelle Read, starmetaloak, Tempting Persephone, Calico Reaction, Fantasy Cafe, Bunbury in the Stacks, and Giraffe Days to name a few.

Have you ever been star struck by an author?
Yeah. When i was a wee one in seventh grade (or something like that), me and the boys who read Fantasy (there were four of us) would share copies of Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's series. It was either Dragonlance or Star of the Guardians. Or both. I have not read books by these authors in YEARS, but I sort of discovered how much they meant to me when I tried to speak to Tracy Hickman at a signing and words were not coming out. I pushed through it, but.. dang. It was so unexpected! I had friends laughing at me when I told them.

I want to thank Janicu for taking time to do this interview. I'm always glad when I meet a new blogger! To read my interview visit http://specficromantic.com/

For more on Book Blogger Appreciation Week visit: http://bookbloggerappreciationweek.com/2012/09/bbaw-2012-day-2-shining-a-light-on-you/

10 comments:

  1. Great interview. It's always interesting to learn about other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya. I still get starstruck by authors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! And thanks for the shout out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the interview, it's a great way to get to know a new blogger!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun questions! Like Janicu I'm usually hanging out on twitter as well. It's been a great way to get to know other bloggers better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to get to know both you and your interviewer through your blogs! So excited to come across so many great book blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate to getting the main character's name wrong in a review. I once did the same thing on a presentation I had to give in high school. I caught the mistake before I stood up to speak, but I did have to go through and change all the handouts I'd prepared, by hand. How embarassing! Thankfully, no one mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Janicus, :D Great blogger and interview. :D So glad to see you two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww thanks for the shout out, Janice! Would love to hang out with you one on one if we ever get to meet in person. LOL need to apply for that US visa. Love what you said about your motivation for blogging and the best and worst aspects of it, I agree with all of that. I think we're the same - we try to stay away from all the drama because we want to be positive about our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    This is a very beautiful blog and very nice blog post.. we want come back on this blog.... Thanks

    ReplyDelete