Thursday, October 11, 2012

Review: Pushing the Limits



Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
 

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars

Pushing the Limits took me on an emotional rollercoaster!

Echo was once the popular girl, but after her family fell apart, her brother dying and a night that left her completely scared and with no memory, Echo has become understandably distant. Her father knows what happened that night and he can barely look at her. He would rather have Echo put the past behind her and not try and remember what happened that night.

Noah does drugs, has a temper, has given up on school and has bounced from one foster home to the next after his parents died. Noah's only concern is trying to find a way to get custody of his younger brothers. He fears that his brothers are suffering in foster care as much as he is.

The only thing that Noah and Echo have in common is Mrs. Collins, the new high school clinical social worker. Neither of them wants to work with her, but since it's court ordered, they really don’t have a choice. Mrs. Collins helps Echo find a job by tutoring Noah. The two decide that a better plan would be to steal their files from Mrs. Collins office.

Pushing the Limits is both sweet and emotional. I did feel, at certain points I couldn’t handle what was happening to the characters and I had to walk away from the book. Even so, I found Pushing the Limits to be captivating and on more than one occasion I stayed up past 1:00 AM on a work night reading it. Pushing the Limits is Katie McGarry’s first novel and I look forward to reading more from her in the future.

6 comments:

  1. I felt the same way, Cari...at times it was hard to read, but it did keep me up late reading. I can't wait to read more from this author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely and so very much loved this book! It made me cry so hard. Oh and I am in love with Katie McGarry, can't wait for her next book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably the last person on the planet not to have read this book. You've got me intrigued though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol. Oh that's a late night to be reading, and get up for work. But sounds like you enjoyed it. I've not been sure about this one for me, but does sound good. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books that deliver such an emotional punch. I haven't read this one. Will give it a look. thanks!

    ReplyDelete