Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Audio Review: Beneath the Glitter




Beneath the Glitter by Elle Fowler and Blair Fowler

Rating: 2 of 5 Stars


I really wanted to like this one. I mean the cover is all pink and glittery and I love contemporary novels, but Beneath the Glitter had so many faults that I don't know where to begin, let's start with the narrator. Kate Rudd as the narrator was over pronouncing almost every word, it was really bad and it made it really difficult to stick with the story. Just as I would try to get lost in the story I felt her reading these very crisp words. At some point her voice really changed and I think it really made it easy to be annoyed with the story.

The story itself felt really predictable. Ava and Sophia London are sisters who live together and are best friends who never have problems. Then they get a deal to start a makeup line and all these misunderstandings happen, but they manage to pull it together in the end. I felt the sisters had no depth and there were so many holes in who they were. Like did only Sophia go to college? Where did they work before this makeup deal? Do they really get along twenty-four-seven? Sophia and Ava are in their twenties and have a house rule that guys never come over. Is this realistic? How can they afford their lifestyle? Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of fun light hearted books, but I didn't feel any of these questions were answered.

When the girls start having problems they never speak to each other. They talk about how close they are to family, but you never see a conversation with another family member or advice about how to handle the fighting. Not once do their parents come to visit or  go to their makeup launch. When Ava and Sophia both end up in the tabloids neither of them get a call from their mom.

Sophia talks about being the responsible one and goes out and gets wasted at a work event. At the end of each chapter they list Lon-do's and Lon-don'ts, which got annoying and I fast forwarded through most of them. I never got why Sophia never named her kitten. Also, Ava became so wrapped up in her Hollywood crush turned boyfriend Liam that I couldn't stop rolling my eyes.

I felt the cliff-hanger was thrown in as a last ditch effort to maybe pull readers back in. I will say that I can't see myself giving book 2 a chance. I'm giving Beneath the Glitter 2 stars because I feel it had potential and the cover is really pretty, but the story completely flopped for me.

Beneath the Glitter was provided for review by Brilliance Audio.

7 comments:

  1. What a bummer, this one sounds so good (And I'm with you on loving a pink and glittery cover!!)

    I especially love stories where sisters are best friends (my sister and I are!) but no fighting? WHATEVER!! My sister and I fight. A lot. Despite being best friends! And no depth? UGH - double bummer.

    Thanks for the great review! I think I'll skip this one though...

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover but so disappointed in the book. LOL My sister and I are best friends too and lol hello all sisters fight even if it's something minor. So it just seemed unreal and the fact they could not communicate.

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a shame...I love a good light hearted chick lit read every once in a while but it still has to make sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of chick lit but this one didn't work for me at all. I was really disappointed.

      Delete
  3. Eeeeew. Sounds like it would bug me.

    So I'm totally feeling what you're saying.

    Thanks for the awesome honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we have talked about it in the past and both agree that narrators play a big part in how we feel about the book.

      Delete
  4. I read a print copy of this one and I enjoyed it I obviously didn't think overall it was amazing but it was a cute little summer read!

    ReplyDelete