Sunday, November 11, 2012

Audio Review: Monument 14




Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars


Wow Monument 14 is a gripping story, but sort of creepy. A natural disaster on the East Coast causes a ripple effect through the US. On top of it technology fails causing chemical plants to release toxic gases that affect the population based on blood type.

Dean lives in a world where technology has never failed, until one morning when they're on their way to school. The teens have no idea what to do without adults or their phones to hear what's going on. Lucky for them they get stranded near a superstore so once the panic wears off they realize that they can survive for a while.

At first they go wild, but then start to establish a society where each person has a job and task. Since they also have elementary school kids with them, they are forced to be strong for them and basically become their parents. On the one hand if you have to be stuck in a disaster area you think "well at least we have supplies", but on the other side you think "how long will I be stuck here?"!

There are moments where things get intense and moments that will gross you out, but overall I think Emmy Laybourne spun a great story and I can't wait to read the next book in this series. I highly recommend picking this up!

Audio Book: Todd Haberkorn is a terrific narrator. The entire time I felt like I was right there with them. The signs of a great narrator are forgetting that someone is telling a story and feeling like you are right there in the action.



Monument 14 was provided by Brilliance Audio for review.

12 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book! Seriously, it's one of my faves in the post-apocalyptic genre, and I can't wait for the second in the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you! How many days until the next one?

      Delete
  2. Sounds fantastic. I must check out this audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juju: Let me know what you think when you listen to it!

      Delete
  3. I loved this one...I'm sure it translated well to audio:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this book! It's awesome the audio version was so well done:)

    Awesome review thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see so many people enjoyed it!

      Delete
  5. I'm looking forward to reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to let me know what you think!

      Delete
  6. I agree...the best narrators help you immerse yourself in the story and just get lost. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I think I have a galley/ARC, but I might actually prefer listening to this one after your review of the audio. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes read or listen to it soon and let's discuss it!

      Delete