Sunday, November 25, 2012

Review: Shadows by Ilsa J. Bick


Shadows by Ilsa J. Bick

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


I really do think Ilsa's novels are so under everyone's radar. Do you ever read a book and then think "Wow, why is the world not going crazy over this series?" Well that's what Ilsa's novels are like! I'm not a big dystopia fan, because let's face it reading about the end of the world as we know it is really sad and sometimes depressing. So for me to not only pick a dystopia, but to read a series is pretty unheard of. With that said PICK UP Ashes and Shadows right now.

For audio book fans this is one you must get! Katherine Kellgren won the Audie award for Female Solo Narration. Katherine does the voices of the kids and her voice really fits every emotion and tense moment in the story. As far as narrators go Katherine has to be one of my top five favorites. In a world of HD, CGI, and 60 inch televisions we have come to depend on visual for entertainment, but after listening to Shadows the light bulb clicked and I could see how years ago people would sit around the radio mesmerized by just the audio. My normal commute to work is two hours and the entire time I listened to Shadows but it wasn't enough, so for a week I had lunch in my car listening to and saying ok just five more minutes!

You have to read Ashes first because Shadows continues right where Ashes left off. At the beginning of Ashes a sort of frequency went off causing all machines and computers to stop working. Everyone under fifteen stayed the same and didn't experience a change like those between the ages of sixteen and twenty. Teens seemed to take on these animalistic traits and start hunting and eating humans. Anyone who didn't go through some sort of change mainly people between the ages of twenty and sixty years of age just flat out died. Those over sixty were fine.

Shadows deals with what happens after the end of the world. How do you pick up what's left and start living again. Some turn into a militia, others start thinking of repopulating the world. Some are looking at experimenting to see what caused it all.

The story is told from multiple points of views. The main characters from Ashes are all separated and with no way to communicate with each other they assume the others are dead, but have hope.

We also get an in depth look into how those that have changed are like. They no longer talk, but they do communicate. They are savages, but still show some normal traits like jealousy, lust, and familiarity. We also learn a lot more about the communities and the secrets they keep.

For those of you who thought there wasn't enough sexy times in Ashes, well Ilsa really provides it in Shadows. Let's just say careful what you wish for! There are very dark and creepy moments, but everyone is fighting a war of survival. War is never simple or pretty.

Shadows ends with a boom and an insane cliffhanger! Ilsa does a great job painting a picture of this crazy reality and she keeps you hooked until the very last moment. I can see a lot of our own history in this novel just set in the future. I honestly have no idea what to expect in Ilsa's next novel or even who will narrate it. All I can do is count down until the next book. Again pick this one up either in book or audio, you won't regret it!

Shadows was provided by Brilliance Audio for review.

17 comments:

  1. Great review. I enjoyed these books too - but Shadows got a little gory for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadows was very gory, but I guess that's what happens when we spend time with the changed. I'm glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  2. I've got both books in the school library. I just need to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that in your post earlier! I can't wait to see what you think!

      Delete
  3. I read Ashes and loved it, sounds like it's time to get my hands on this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coreen: I was a little worried because it's so long but it really wowed me. Let me know what you think when you read them.

      Delete
  4. I've been meaning to look into these. Bravo! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juju! Do let me know if you pick them up!

      Delete
  5. I have heard mixed things about this series but I just recently listened to Monstrous Beauty which is also narrated by Katherine. She is a fabulous narrator. I may have to give it a go for that reason alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very different from what's in YA today but I think that's what makes them interesting. Also the narrator is amazing so I hope you pick them up. I will have to listen to Monstrous Beauty!

      Delete
  6. I need to read this series now! I don't know about "listening" to it though, but maybe. You never know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a good series to start with. It's a great audio.

      Delete
  7. This book seems really interesting & way fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have me convinced that I need to read this series! Bring on the war for survival!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep. Great book. Great narrator. Great review. :) I can't wait for the next book. Ilsa J. Bick is seriously under-appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read/listen to this series but my eLibrary doesn't have it yet. I might have to get it on my own. Fab-tastic review :) I definitely want to get this one even more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review. I think I need to check out this series!

    ReplyDelete