Thursday, December 20, 2012

Audio Review: Curse Worker Series by Holly Black


Curse Worker Series by Holly Black

Narrated by: Jesse Eisenberg

I really wanted to love The Curse Workers series, but I had a hard time with it. In the world of the Curse Workers there are six types of workers (luck, emotion, physical, dream, death and transformation) if a worker touches you and their gift is luck then that's what you'll receive. Workers are mostly in these mob type families that stick together and everyone wear gloves so that a worker won't touch and work them. For example if a death worker touched you and meant to work you then they would kill that person them. Cassel Sharpe seems to be an exception to his all worker family, he doesn't have one of these gifts. Cassel is in love with his best friend Lila, who is dating his brother. Cassel's mom is in jail, because she worked someone and got caught. All of the Sharpe family bends the rules and laws, Cassel just wants to fit in somewhere, he doesn't feel like he's part of the family since he doesn't have a gift so he wants to go to boarding school so he can be around "normal" people. Of all the family members, the only person I can say I truly liked was Cassel's grandfather who genuinely wants the best for Cassel. I was not a fan of Cassel's brothers or mother, because they all come across as completely selfish. Also I kept saying to myself please don't let Lila be the love interest. I never felt that Lila was good enough for Cassel.

I like the fact that Holly Black created an entirely new world and that the books are told from a male point of view is refreshing. If you are looking for a story about con-artists or mysteries with a great narrator I would say give the Curse Workers series a chance. I do highly recommend Holly Black's earlier books about fey Tithe, Valient and Ironside.

Audio: Jesse Eisenberg is a great narrator. Jesse's voice really fit the teenage voice of Cassel, a boy who is trying to be normal, but feels like an outcast. I also felt like Jesse Eisenberg was telling me this story and not just reading a book.

6 comments:

  1. Aw, really? I read the books and listened to the audio for the first two books in the series, and I loved both. Male POVs are awesome! I completely agree that it felt like Jesse Eisenberg was reliving it for us rather than reading a story. He was perfectly cast as the narrator.

    Sorry these weren't great for you, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Tithe series...I have that on my shelf and am just waiting till I have the time to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I was so planning to do the same thing with this audio series (review it as a series instead of individually). Of course, I still haven't gotten to the second one (booo!me). Great review. I really loved the first and need to get to the last two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been curious about this series. I may have to give it a go one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some of my favorite audiobooks ever!!! I listened to the first two and I agree -- it felt like Jesse Eisenberg was telling me a story.
    Now I still need to read Black Heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to read this series. I might check out the audiobooks though because I didn't know Jesse was the narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Holly Black, and I have read all of her other books. But I haven't read this series yet. There is just something that keeps me from bringing it home from the library. Now I think I will just hold off for a little longer. I don't want to end up being let down by a favorite author.

    ReplyDelete