Thursday, December 6, 2012

Guest Post: Top 5 Indie Authors


With the holidays upon us, I thought this would be a great time to invite some of my talented friends to guest post. Today Jamie is talk about the Top 5 Indie Authors/Reads and why they’d make great gifts!


Hello, all! The lovely Cari kindly asked me to do a guest post for her awesome blog, at which I of course couldn’t say no! The topic? Indie Authors. Being an “indie” myself (small press, not self-pub; I don’t have the courage to try that one yet!), I jumped at the chance to help spread the love for those authors who most often get overlooked by the mainstream reading audience. And I’m sure I don’t need to tell you all that Indies are exploding onto the publishing scene, snagging deals left and right (Amanda Hocking, Keary Taylor, Abbi Glines, just to name a few)—so you’ll wanna be sure to keep an eye on this short list, because I’d bet they’re gonna be joining those ranks pretty soon!

(note: this list is a mix of self-pub authors and small press authors)

David James (@DJamesAuthor), author of LIGHT OF THE MOON – I’m still reading this one, actually, but James’ writing is so beautiful and poignant and thought-provoking, I knew I had to add him to this list. LOTM is also a unique story in that it’s about a constellation that falls from the sky in the form of a boy (quick, run outside and get ready!). David is truly gifted with spinning words together into something that readers are gonna devour, so I urge you all to check this one out.

Gift it: I think LIGHT OF THE MOON would be the perfect gift for the true romantic in your life (whether that be you or someone else!).



Ali Cross (@Ali_Cross), author of BECOME, DESOLATE, and DESTINED – Ali is a powerhouse when it comes to writing paranormal characters/stories that readers want to love. And really, isn’t that what it’s all about? Her Desolation series is wonderful, well-crafted, and a sure hit, and she’s definitely an author you should be getting to know.

Gift it: If there’s an angel/demon lover in your family, pick up copies of this series and slap some wrapping paper around them; that person will thank you!





Stephanie Lawton (@Steph_Lawton), author of WANT and SHRAPNEL – Stephanie is a sort-of neighbor of mine (hey, if an author lives an hour away, they’re a neighbor!), and I’ve gotten to know her via Twitter, so trust me when I say she’s a true soul. She’s witty, funny, snarky…and uber talented. WANT is an amazing book, filled with drama and love and steaminess that kept me frantically flipping pages till the end. And I expect her next novel, SHRAPNEL, will be even better. Keep an eye on Lawton, because she’s going nowhere but up.

Gift it: WANT is the ideal gift for those readers who love a deeply-woven story of secrets and tragedy, wrapped nicely in humor and love.



Stephanie Keyes (@StephanieKeyes), author of THE STAR CHILD – Apparently the name Stephanie, no matter the variation in spelling, is a sure-fire way to garner writing talent (excuse me while I set a court date to legally change my name). And this Stephanie is just like the one mentioned above when it comes to said talent. Her debut novel, THE STAR CHILD, is a fun, exciting read, and refreshing in that the MC is male (we don’t see enough of that, right?). I love her writing style, and can’t wait for more from this author. Please be sure to give her a look-see, won’t you?

Gift it: Got a paranormal lover in the midst? Then gift them with THE STAR CHILD and they’ll love ya forever!



T. Michelle Nelson (@tmichellenelson), author of LIFE & DEATH OF LILY DRAKE – T. Michelle (or T, as I like to call her; yep, I got it like that) is not only friendly and hilarious, but she’s also super talented. I absolutely love LILY DRAKE; it’s fun and witty and exciting—not to mention a story about a single mom vampire hunter (hello, unique spin on an old genre). T. Michelle is able to create believable worlds and characters that keep you interested till the end, and I know that there is much more goodness to come from this author. So jump on board the LILY train now, folks—because it’s full steam ahead!

Gift it: If you know a vamp lover (like me!), then LILY DRAKE would make the perfect gift!


Well, there you have it: The top five “indie” authors, as I see ‘em. As with any list, this one is subjective to taste. But I do urge you all to give these authors a shot and pick up their books (they’re all available in print and digital formats). You never know if you like something till you try it, right? (Except squid. I don’t need to try squid to know I don’t like it.)

Jamie is the author of BLOOD BORN and BLOOD AWAKENING. Jamie's love of reading can be traced back to a Sidney Sheldon novel his grandmother purchased at a tag sale when he was young.He's been addicted to books ever since.He prefers getting lost in the pages of a book to just about anything, and it's that love of reading which sparked his interest in writing.He currently lives in a small, humid city in Alabama, where the only thing he pines for is a cooler climate.

To learn more about Jamie visit: http://jamie-manning.com and http://jmanni32.blogspot.com/

14 comments:

  1. Thank you Jamie for the shout out! Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! So honored to be a part of this great list. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! And what good company! Thanks for the mention, Jamie, and thanks to Cari for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! Your books have been on my to read for a while. I'm looking forward to reading them soon.

      Delete
  4. The first sounds a bit like Stardust, which I love. More detailed though, from what you've written. I'm hoping to read Ali Cross soon, have been reading her blog for a while and it caught my interest. Love the sound of the vampire hunter, that is a unique spin, and a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to read all these authors. Jamie has such great taste in books!

      Delete
  5. Yay! We love THE STAR CHILD! Well done, writer STEPHANIE! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I <3 you, Jamie! And Cari, great blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, thanks for sharing these! I'll have to make my rounds to look into the books. :)

    ReplyDelete