Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Type: Audio Book

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green tells a beautiful story about two tweens who fall in love, both of whom happen to have cancer. The Fault in Our Stars easily could have been a sad story, but what really shines is the story of teens just wanting a normal life. Gus and Hazel's message is clear they don't want to  be considered as "other". Gus wants to give Hazel her wish of meeting her favorite author. The entire time I was listening to the audio book I laughed, smiled, and swooned for Augustus. I will say that, yes, cancer is a tough subject and there are sad moments, but overall the story is brilliant! I hope everyone picks up this book.

Audio Book: The Fault in Our Stars is read by Kate Rudd. Earlier this year I listed to Beneath the Glitter a novel narrated by Kate Rudd and I really disliked her style. Luckily when I started listening to The Fault in Our Stars I had no idea it was the same narrator. Slowly, the way she said certain phrases or words Kate's voice started to sound familiar so I looked it up and yes this was the same narrator! So imagine my surprise when I decided I liked the way she narrated The Fault in Our Stars. I think Kate really becomes Hazel and she makes the character come to life.

Audio sample of The Fault in Our Stars

21 comments:

  1. I grabbed this one recently when it was on sale. SO glad to hear it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I got it at the same time. I ended up starting it one day and finishing the next. I can see myself listening to it again. I loved it!

      Delete
  2. I've heard some great things about this book and have been quesitoning to read it, thanks for the review and i'll definately give it a read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaci: Let me know if you read or listen to it. It's such a great story.

      Delete
  3. This is one of those books I have that I just haven't taken the time to read yet. One day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a must read and a great audio

      Delete
  4. I just got this book...I can not wait to pick it up next month and dig in!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh let me know what you think Melissa!

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you enjoyed the way she narrated this one. That's good to hear. :) Thanks for your thoughts on this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did a really good job with Hazel. I wonder if she was just easier to relate to.

      Delete
  6. I just got this audio and will be listening to it soon, so your 5-star review has me PRETTY excited. I know everyone loves this book, but it's always nice when the audio is equally as awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the narrator has a lot to do with how I feel about the book. I loved it and can't wait to see your review of the audio.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad that you had a better experience with this narrator this time around. I'm also relieved to know that narrators can do better with a different book. I'd hate to swear off certain narrators and then they end up narrating a book I really want to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it is hard because it seems like certain narrators are on a lot of books. The previous book was such a bad experience but I'm willing to give her a shot in future books. The good thing is that when I find a narrator I love then I'm willing to step outside of my normal genre and listen to a book because of who the narrator is.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed your review and cannot believe I have been overlooking this book! Sounds like a really great read and I cannot wait to get started

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been hearing really good things about this book. I will seriously have to read it now. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been seeing this book around a lot lately. One of my co-workers recently recommended this author to me as well. Hm...maybe I should pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard it was sort of depressing but I need to read it for myself to see. great review

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely loved this book! I picked it up just planning to see if it was something that I wanted to read someday and ended up finishing it that day. I loved everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my favourite books! I'm glad to hear you loved it!

    ReplyDelete