Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Book Event: Magnus Flyte

Saturday I attended my first book event of the year. Murder by the Book hosted Magnus Flyte, the pseudonym for Christina Lynch and Meg Howrey. When asked why they wrote under a male name they said studies show men are less likely to buy a book written by a woman. So they figured for two women it was best to write with a male name and trick men, like we women do. This of course got a laugh. Christina and Meg gave a brief intro about City of Dark Magic and did a reading. After they reading, they talked a little about how they got the idea for the book and the writing process. One of the rules was one person would write a chapter and then pass it to the other. There would be no rewrites until after the entire book was done.

The audience all had questions about Prague. Christina has family there so she has traveled there a number of times, then they both went together for research. They also talked about marketing ideas like never letting people known who Magnus Flyte was. Sending friends to do the events, but the publisher explained readers really like getting to know the authors. Christina and Meg do tweet as Magnus, which they love because he can be anywhere and pretty much say interesting things.

I picked up the book last month, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm hoping to start it in the next few weeks. I hear from friends who have read it that the book could not be set anywhere else but Prague and that it's fantastic.

Have you attended your first event yet this year? Is City of Dark Magic on your to read list?


Magnus Flyte Photos

To learn more about Magnus Flyte visit: magnusflyte.com

5 comments:

  1. Magnus is two ladies? I had no idea. I'm totally digging the book so far. Awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Do you feel like it's written from a female author? I need the audio book!

      Delete
    2. I just finished the audio. I never woulda guessed it was written by ladies.

      Delete
  2. I'm sad that I missed the event, especially since they sound like two amazing and funny ladies. While I haven't attended my first book event this year, I hope to do so soon! :) And yes, thanks to Ex Libris Kate's review, it is on my to-read list AND on the order list for my library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate is one of the people who told me it was amazing. Gotta love Kate!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...