Monday, January 21, 2013

Review: Nobody

Nobody by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Type: ARC provided by Publisher

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


Nobody is so different from anything in YA today. Nobody is a unique story that moves quickly, but since you don't have a lot of characters with their own story line the story is very plot driven. At the same time readers will never feel lost or rushed. Nobody has something for everybody, it's not just another girlie novel a la Twilight, there's plenty of action for the guys too.

Nix is a Nobody. He is easily forgettable and that makes him a great candidate to be an assassin. Nix grew up in a facility where starting at the age of five they would wake him with a knife to his throat to train him to disappear or bury him underground to make sure he wouldn't panic. Nix has never questioned an order until he is sent to kill Claire.

Barnes brilliantly captures the moment when Nix and Claire meet and he feels like it's the first time anyone has noticed him. Only it's those exact feelings that make him extremely nervous. Nix will battle with wanting to know why she can focus on him and at the same time wants to push her away.

Claire is so strong. I know at first glance you think Nix, the trained assassin is the strong one, but Claire has surpassed him. Claire grew up being forgotten and without friends, but she built a way to cope. I like that she never gives up and isn't whiny. Claire just tells herself she has to be better, funnier, and nicer. Then one day a guy is standing outside her window with a gun pointed at her.

I think there is room for a prequel and for an adult mystery and suspense fans looking to start reading YA I would highly recommend starting with Nobody. I really like that Jennifer Lynn Barnes always writes strong female characters. She also does a great job of giving readers an ending, but leaving enough room to come back and possibly write more. I'm a big fan of Jennifer Lynn Barnes' writing and I can't wait to see what she writes next.

21 comments:

  1. Nice review. I really want to read this one now. I like a good mystery/suspense, and am always looking for good ones to recommend to my teens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette: Have you read any of Jen's other books?

      Delete
  2. I have never read any of this author's books -- glad you loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you come back tomorrow! I'm giving away a copy of Nobody!

      Delete
  3. I loved Every Other Day, so I'm hoping this one lives up to my expectations. And lucky me, I just won a copy, so I get to find out soon! :) Great review...you've got me even more excited for the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Jen's writing! I can't wait to see what you think of Nobody!

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read this one, it sounds really good! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you read and review it! I would love to hear what you think!

      Delete
  5. Ah!!! I cannot wait to read this! I'm even more excited now that I read your review!! Wooot! Loved Every Other Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want Jen to go back and write a follow up book to Every Other Day.

      Delete
  6. I was not in love with Every Other Day, but this sounds like something I would definitely enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved the tension and suspense in Every Other Day. I hope you love Nobody!

      Delete
  7. Ooo, I'm starting to hear good things about this one. And I've not heard of it until recently. Glad to hear you enjoyed it so. :D Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! I hope you come back tomorrow because I'm giving away a copy of Every Other Day and Nobody!

      Delete
  8. I've been curious about this one but wanted to hold off on reading it until I read reviews from people I know and trust - like you! Consider my interest piqued. The premise is definitely unique, so think I'll give this one a try for sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You need to read it! I love Jen Barnes's writing!

      Delete
  9. This is such an interesting unique concept!! Love how she captured their meeting exactly:)

    Lovely review:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was such a refreshing read when I read it. I zipped right through it in one sitting. I'm definitely reading all of Jennifer's books. I'm a fan of hers :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What appeals to me is the Nobodies because they seem so unique and add an assasin who is a Nobody in the mix and that is very interesting. I like that it's plot driven because I can focus on the action :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. definitely sounds like a book i will like. the review caught my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to read this. Recommended from a friend to read her work and it is on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete