Thursday, January 24, 2013

Review: Uncommon Criminals


Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter (Heist Society, #2)

Source: Purchased

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


No one can pull off a heist like Ally Carter! Simply brilliant! Katarina Bishop comes from a family of criminals. They are best at stealing high price art, forgery, and running cons. Kat has been helping in the family business since she was three, but when she turned 15 she walked away from it all. Then in Heist Society she was pulled back in by her family to help with a job. Kat lead the team who robbed the biggest and most secure museum in the world.

In Uncommon Criminals she spends her time stealing back stolen art and returning it to its rightful owners. Kat has pushed her family away and takes unnecessary risks. Hale, her only friend (who happens to be super hot and my dream boyfriend) is upset that Kat doesn't include him. Hale and her cousin Gabby worry that Kat is consumed by the danger of doing these jobs alone. The truth is, she doesn't want to include them, because the jobs she pulls aren't going to make them any money. Kat is simply using her skills to set things right in the world. When Kat and Hale are approached to steal the Cleopatra Emerald, which is rumored to be cursed and is a job that is strictly forbidden by her family, she of course decides to take the job. With help from Hale and Gabby they successfully steal the Cleopatra Emerald. Only it turns out that this time Kat is the one being conned. Kat was so caught up in helping return the emerald to its rightful owner, that she made a huge mistake and will do anything to set it right.

Kat is trying to find her way in the world. She knows she doesn't belong in school, but stealing for profit isn't the life she wants. I am in awe over how much I loved Uncommon Criminals. I have read other books about thieves, but hands down Ally Carter is the best! If you haven't read Heist Society drop everything and read it now. Perfect Scoundrels the third book in the Heist series will be available February 5th. Ally Carter will be in Houston at Blue Willow Bookshop on February 5th, so if you can't make it to Houston you can still order a signed copy online. Blue Willow Bookshop also ships all over the world, so if you're not in the US and are a fan of Ally's you can still get a signed copy of her book!

To learn more about Ally Carter visit: http://allycarter.com/

19 comments:

  1. Great review. I'm so excited for the next on. This is one of those series that I'm not supposed to like -- not really "my kind of book" but I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! I love love love this series!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for turning me on to Alley Carter. Gonna have to check out this "Heist Society".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hearing how fun these books are, but I haven't had a chance to pick them up yet. They sound great...maybe I'll see if they're available on audio so I can fit them in sooner rather than later. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make this your next read! You will love it! Oh I wonder what Hale sounds like on audio. Swoons!

      Delete
  4. I need to read this series. I remember seeing the first book around and wanting to read it. And I like knowing the next book in the series is good to! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of those series that I picked up just based on the cover. I'm so glad I read it.

      Delete
  5. So glad to see you are enjoying this series. I saw there is a novella that Ally has for free on Smashwords. I can't remember the title at the moment. Hope you get to get that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I just reviewed the novella a few days ago.

      Delete
  6. This has been a fun series. I especially enjoy Hale but really, who doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hale! I love him! I can't wait to see what you think of Perfect Scoundrels!

      Delete
  7. I've still only read the first one! Need to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it ASAP! It's a great contemporary which I know you love!

      Delete
  8. LOVE this series. And I just go the novella AND Perfect Scoundrels. My happiness is complete :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in the middle of Perfect Scoundrels and I'm loving it! I am really going to be sad to have to wait a whole year for the next book.

      Delete
  9. I really liked the way that Ally wrote the tension between Kat and Hale as their relationship slowly changed. It was very well done. Love this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Hale and Kat's relationship has been one of my favorite in YA and it feels very realistic.

      Delete
  10. I haven't had a chance to read any of Ally's books, but I hear good things!

    ReplyDelete