Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Guest Post: The Power of a Choice by Kasie West

I'm thrilled to welcome debut author Kassie West! Kassie is the author of not one but two novels this year. Pivot Point will be available February 12th 2013 and The Distance Between Us on July 2nd 2013. When Kasie and I talked about guest posting I gave her a few ideas and she picked is the power of choice. Help me welcome Kasie West!




The Power of a Choice by Kasie West

Everyone’s life is made up of a series of choices. Essentially we choose every aspect of our lives. We might think other people ultimately make our choices for us (our parents, our teachers, our bosses, all of whom seem to control our lives) but in the end, we are the ones completing or not completing assignments, listening or not listening to rules, dragging our feet or pushing forward. We wake up every day with choices lined up before us that we are responsible to make. And maybe most of our choices are mundane. Boring. Like, do I clean my messy house (no) or do I check twitter five hundred times a day (yes). These choices probably don’t have major negative consequences (unless I get a surprise visitor and I wanted them to think I was a clean person and not a messy slob). But every once in while there comes a choice that can change everything.

Addie, the main character in my book, has a really cool power. When faced with a choice, she can see two outcomes. Recently in a Publisher’s Weekly review of Pivot Point, the reviewer ended their thoughts with this line: “…and the book’s fascinating exploration of how life can change with one simple choice.” I loved this line. Taken down to its simple form that is the essence of the book. Choice. How it can change things. How it can shape a life. Choice is powerful.

I was telling my publishing story to a group of women last month and one person (after finding out Pivot Point was the sixth book I’ve written) asked, “Why did you keep trying? Why didn’t you just stop?” That’s a good question. Why didn’t I just stop? Give up? I made a choice. I wanted this. I had a desire and I was going to see it through. For me, it was about doing something I loved. I read several inspirational stories during the ‘trying to get published’ years. And a quote that kept me going was: Published authors are just writers who didn’t quit. (I totally slaughtered that quote because I am making the choice now not to Google the real quote. Hopefully there will not be lasting consequences for this.) I believe this is true. The only sure way not to get published is to quit…..or to stalk publishers. You probably don’t want to stalk publishers.

That choice of not giving up has paid off. I’m exactly where I want to be. Addie from the book may have the cool power to look into the future and base her decisions off what she sees. But choice, in general, is a power we all have.

Kasie West writes YA. She eats Junior Mints. Sometimes she goes crazy and does both at the same time. Her debut novel, PIVOT POINT, will be published by HarperTeen on February 12, 2013, followed by its sequel in 2014. She also has a contemporary, The Distance Between Us, coming out in the Fall of 2013 with HarperTeen. Her agent is the talented and funny Michelle Wolfson.

To learn more about Kasie visit: http://www.kasiewest.com/

6 comments:

  1. I'm reading Pivot Point right now, and I love how the "power of a choice" is playing out in the story. It's very poignant and thought-provoking, to consider the lives we might have led if we'd just done things differently at one time or another. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She can see both outcomes? WHOA! Awesome power. I love it. I do hope you review this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read Pivot Point! Choices really are powerful when you stop to think about it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this one, I love the idea of choosing different destinies, and seeing more than one available future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow--i like what was said about choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great guest post! I am dying to read Pivot Point!

    ReplyDelete