Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Review: The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson

The Madness Underneath (Shades of London #2) by Maureen Johnson

Type: EGalley via Net Galley

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


The Madness Underneath picks up shortly after The Name of the Star. I can say fans of Maureen Johnson will not be disappointed. Rory is sort of floating through everyday life. She's back with her parents after the Ripper attack. Rory is wasting her days away watching t.v. and sleeping. The only time Rory leaves is when she goes to see her therapist. Rory's parents are concerned, but don't know how to approach the subject without pushing her. When at home Rory discovers that the Ripper attack left her with a unique gift.

That gift sets her life back into motion. Rory returns to Wexford Prep and hopes life can go back to normal. Only with so many secrets Rory finds herself lying to everyone around her.

Rory really seems most at ease around Steven, Boo, and Callum. Steven, the serious one, really wants Rory to consider a normal life. He tries to make her see that choosing to do what he does means never telling anyone about your job. Also with Rory's gift she is a valuable asset and can be used by others.

Johnson keeps some of the creepy factor in The Madness Underneath with the mysterious deaths around town, but the story is more focused on Rory's state of mind and where her future is headed. There are some things I never saw coming and can't wait to discuss with everyone. In the mean time I'm ready for book 3!

12 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to this one and I'm glad to see you enjoyed it so much. I'm sort of bummed its not as creepy as the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh glad you liked it. I'm wondering if I should pick this one up. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Name of the Star and have been really looking forward to reading this. I'm glad to hear that it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to this one! I loved The Name of the Star. Ripper lore really fascinates me. Is that creepy? :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5 stars!!!
    I have this and even just listened to NotS on Audio to get ready. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks awesome! The first book was creepy and I love how she makes real friends. I'd love to know if she chooses to work with Stephen:) Hope she does!!

    Lovely review:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still need to read the first one, but makes me happy to hear the series remains strong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that this book focuses on Rory's state of mind and that it has surprises that you didn't see coming! Thanks for this great review and no spoilers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am soooo jealous you read the book before everyone else.
    I can't wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you liked this one. I have it, but hasn't risen to the top of the pile yet! Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saw this on NetGalley too! I should have requested :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. The title of this book is so intriguing I just had to click and read your review! Sounds like one I'd really enjoy :D Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete