Saturday, February 16, 2013

Audio Review: Not Quite Dating


Not Quite Dating by Catherine Bybee

Type: Audio book provided by publisher

Rating: 1 of 5 Stars


Oh where do I start? I guess with Jack the love interest. During a bachelor party in Vegas Jack’s ex-girlfriend shows up to try and get back with him. She made it clear that she only wants him for his money and explains that any other women will have the same motives. On the way home from his trip he stops at a diner and is attracted to Jesse, the waitress. He tells his friends he is going to pretend to be poor and win the girl over. Jesse is not only a waitress, but a single mom and when Jack asks her out she says she’s looking to date a guy with money and not some dreamer. Ah this is where Jack should have walked away. Of course he sticks around and tries and tries to win her over. I couldn’t stand Jesse and really she just wasn’t good enough for Jack. Not because she’s a waitress, but because she thinks it’s ok to say I want to marry a man with money. Cough Cough GOLD DIGGER Cough! If you think that dating a guy who isn’t rich is a problem well find a better job and work your way up. I wasn’t crazy about her son’s point of view either, because I felt it was just to add to the poor single mom. Jesse later decides that she and Jack should be friends with benefits, without running the idea by him. When he proposes, she says no. Realizing she wants him in her life (insert eye roll) they hook up again and then there is a big misunderstanding and Jesse runs out. I really wanted Jack to see that Jesse was too much trouble and move on with his life. I have never disliked a main character as much as I disliked Jesse.

Audio: I wasn't crazy about Amy McFadden as a narrator. Her male Texan accent was pretty bad. Amy also over pronounces a lot of words and you can tell she is reading and not feeling the novel.

3 comments:

  1. Great honest review. Shame it wasn't good. I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bad accent is my biggest pet peeve when listening to audio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer. I was looking at this one on amazon. So glad I saw your review. Too many good ones out there.

    ReplyDelete