Monday, June 10, 2013

Review: Solstice by P J Hoover


Solstice by P.J. Hoover

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


When I first heard of Solstice I thought "how will history and dystopia work?", but leave it to PJ Hoover to take Greek Mythology and make it current! In Solstice the world is now in a Global Heating Crisis and the average temperature is 119, we also meet Piper who lives in Austin, Texas with her mother. Living in Texas with 100 degree summers, it sometimes makes me a bit afraid that this could possibly be our not too distant future. Piper tries to live a life as normal as can be, when you have a mother who controls every second of your life. Piper is use to her mom’s controlling ways because she has been that way for as long as she can remember. Her mom explained that they had to move to Texas so Piper’s terrorist father wouldn’t find her. When Piper turns eighteen she starts meeting people who change her life including her father. Piper’s school life is pretty quiet with only one real friend and no boyfriend what so ever. Then she meets a new guy who is quiet and distant with everyone expect Piper. Piper isn’t sure why he would want to talk to her and she knows her mother wouldn’t approve, but she feels a connection with him. Hoover does a great job of showing how Piper goes from being suffocated by her mom’s controlling ways to the person she was meant to be. Solstice is a story about love and about how far you're willing to go to protect those you love. Making impulsive choices is sometimes easier than dealing with the consequences that inevitably follow.


Every time I picked up Solstice I lost hours because I could never find a stopping point! To take a well-known myth like Hades and Persephone and make it your own is a sign of great writing! I can’t wait for more from PJ Hoover.

To learn more about P. J. Hoover visit: http://www.pjhoover.com/index.php

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too.

    I like the new cover as well. I enjoyed the original one too but this one is more contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog! Please follow mine; it's new: readandlovebooks.blogspot.com
    Thanks♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this back when it was still just an indie, and I loved it, too! Plus, yay for Texas authors! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! That sounds amazing! I love the cover too. :D I do think I need this one. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so much about this book, but didn't know if it was really worth reading! Anyways who can resist Greek Mythology and a Dystopian society? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds so amazing! I've been seeing it around a lot lately too. Thanks so much for your review. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete