Monday, August 26, 2013

Review: ANTIGODDESS by Kendare Blake


ANTIGODDESS by Kendare Blake

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars

Source: Review e-copy provided by Publisher


I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved ANTIGODDESS by Kendare Blake! What if the Gods were still around today. Where would they be and if they were dying how would it happen? What if the one person who could save them was someone they all wronged?

Hera, Poseidon and Aphrodite team up and are determined to find a way to stay alive. They are willing to go to war with the other Gods if it means surviving. After all, the Titans have been known to eat their kids to stay on top. Hera will do or kill anyone who tries to stand in her way.

Athena and Hermes set out to find their aunt Demeter, goddess of the earth, in hopes that she can help them. They find her flat and stretched across the dessert also dying. She sends them to look for Cassandra, the prophetess, of Troy. Before getting too far Poseidon sends Nereids to attack them. Athena and Hermes seek out friends who could possibly point them in the right direction in their search for Cassandra. While searching they meet up with Odysseus who's history with Athena is complicated and so interesting. Reunions are cut short when Hera want's what they know and tries to kill them.

What do you do when the one person who can help you has no idea who she is? What if waking her is violent and will ruin the life she has? Is it fair to destroy the life she has now when the Gods destroyed her previous life?

"Let the whole world blame her for its end. It didn't matter, as long as he knew who she really was."

Athena is flat out a badass. She knows what has to be done and she doesn't apologize for doing it. The only thing that makes her stop for a moment is what Odysseus thinks and that's not really like her. Athena knows that she is fighting to save her siblings and herself, but the difference between her and Hera is that she doesn't want to hurt people if she doesn't have to.

ANTIGODDESS has movie written all over it! I loved every moment and see myself re-reading this until book two is available. The ending left me completely in shock! There were so many memorable quotes and amazing moments. I just finished Game of Thrones and there were moments in ANTIGODDESS that feels the same in that there are hard choices and amazing characters. Kendare Blake is an amazing author! If you only listen to one of my recommendations this year let it be ANTIGODDESS!

ANTIGODDESS goes on sale September 10th. You can read a free excerpt online at Tor.com.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I will add this to my list. Thanks Cari!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished this yesterday and it was SO GOOD. I loved the idea the idea that the gods were having to deal with the effects of humanity. Such a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O it sounds fab fab fab.
    I'm totally not feeling YA nor gods and goddesses lately but I am totally going to make an exception for Kendare. I like her writing.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo looking forward to this one! Loved the Anna books, so I'm expecting to love this series as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! It's sitting on my shelf waiting for me to finish working on my own stuff so I can read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful review! I truly need to read this one asap! I love the idea of Gods being still among us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this one, too! I loved how Kendare's humor shines through, even though the gods are threatening to end the world as we know it. Such a fun take on mythology. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I've loved the sounds of this one since the first time I heard about it. So glad to see you loving it so much. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete