Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Review: Manor of Secrets

Manor of Secrets by Katherine Longshore

Release Date: January 28, 2014

About the book:

Lady Charlotte Edmonds: Beautiful, wealthy and sheltered, Charlotte feels suffocated by the strictures of upper-crust society. She longs to see the world beyond The Manor, to seek out high adventure—and most of all, romance.

Janie Seward: Fiery, hardworking, and clever, Janie knows she can be more than just a kitchen maid. But she isn't sure she possesses the courage—or the means—to break free and follow her passions.

Both Charlotte and Janie are ready for change. As their paths overlap in the gilded hallways and dark corridors of The Manor, rules are broken and secrets are revealed. Secrets that will alter the course of their lives...forever.


Review:
What first drew me to Manor of Secrets was the gorgeous cover. I mean hello someone tell me where I can order this dress! I had also read Katherine Longshore's debut novel GILT and it was full of juicy scandal. I must say that I was surprised by Manor of Secrets, because for some reason I thought it would be overly dramatic. Instead it's a story of a girl who daydreams of adventure and becoming a writer in a time when an aristocratic woman's lot in life was simply to marry well and usually to a man her parents have chosen for her and for whom she has no feels for whatsoever. I admire that Longshore starts with a simple story and then later unravels it into a world of hidden secrets.

Longshore also does a fantastic job of describing the lavish gowns and the Manor which sounds more like a palace. I felt like I could picture it all without it having to be overly explained. I also like that even the characters you think must be the villain and one dimensional are more complex. I never really hated one character or felt like they needed to slink off into the night with their tail tucked between their legs.

If I could complain about one thing its that I felt everything happened in the last few chapters. I would have liked to have seen the ending drawn out a bit more. I really liked that while Manor of Secrets is a YA novel it can really be read by anyone of most ages. I have heard that Manor of Secrets has been compared to Downton Abbey, but I can't say for sure, because I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't watch the show. If you have read the book and watch the show let me know what you think in the comments. Manor of Secrets is a stand alone novel, but if you enjoy it I would also suggest picking up GILT, Katherine Longshore's first novel, which is one of my favorites.

To learn more about Katherine Longshore visit: http://www.katherinelongshore.com/

Review copy provided by Point/Scholastic

2 comments:

  1. I hate when endings don't feel full enough. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good story just selfishly I would have liked longer chapters at the end.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...