Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Review: Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith



Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith

Holy cow I had no idea what in the world I was getting myself into. I told myself I wouldn’t look at any reviews or press beforehand, because I wanted to experience Grasshopper Jungle for myself. When I first started Grasshopper Jungle I thought oh I’m going inside a guy’s head that lives in a small town that is slowly dying out. Little did I know, that is exactly what I was getting, and so much more! I will admit that when it comes to male point of views I expect the best. You see I have fallen in love with male point of views like Felton Reinstein and Nick Gardner.

Austin Szerba is different, from other male point of view books I have read, but just as important! See Austin is a typical teenage boy who can’t stop thinking about sex and shit like that. (His words not mine) I believe it’s important to point out that Austin is dealing with a lot of insecurity about the possibility that he is either gay or bisexual. I look around my book shelves and I don’t think I have another book that deals with this topic from the main male point of view. Teens need to know that they can pick up a book and feel they can relate to the main character.

When I found out about the struggles that Austin was having with his sexuality I thought well this is what the book is about. Right? Well wrong! One night a group of teens accidentally break a globe with a plague that can potentially destroy the world.  Austin and his best friend Robby discover what happens and try to fix it. Austin loves his girlfriend Shann who he and Robby spend all their time with and who helps him find the truth about the plague. Austin is obsessed with keeping a history of his life. He writes everything down as he goes about his day and connects the pieces of history.  When Austin is lost he spends his time with his dog, Ingrid, who loves him regardless of who he chooses to love.

Grasshopper Jungle is a book that you have to experience. It’s funny saying this as a book reviewer, but block out what everyone is saying! Read Grasshopper Jungle with an open mind and live the life that Austin Szerba lives. Andrew Smith’s writing style is completely unique and a voice that is needed in young adult literature.

Note: There is sex and violence in the book, but would you expect anything less in an “end of the world” type of book?

To learn more about Andrew Smith visit: http://www.authorandrewsmith.com



I want to give a big thanks to Penguin Books and Lady Reader's Bookstuff Blog Tours for including me in the blog tour. Penguin is also giving one lucky US winner a copy of Grasshopper Jungle and a very cool shirt! So fill out the rafflecopter form below:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

13 comments:

  1. I was drawn in by the author. I read Winger last year and really enjoyed it, so I wanted to read more from the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if the world was coming to an end, the item I could not live without would be my Bible. This book sounds really interesting. Thanks for having the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm drawn to this book because it sounds super weird and has LGBT themes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The premise sounds really wacky and interesting, and I trust Andrew Smith to pull it off. Winger was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Thank you so much for posting. :)


    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. the characters sound interesting

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read an excerpt of the book and it seems so good! And if the world was ending, I would be needing a huge stash of chapstick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the unusual nature of this book. The overtaking of the world by giant insects is both gripping and terrifying to me; a girl who has a deep phobia about insects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am scared to death of any kind of insect - any time I come in the same room as one (or even outside) I am convinced they are watching me and planning to attack. You could say I'm a bit crazy about it. :) So when I first heard of this I just passed it by without really looking into it. But now I have seen all of these great reviews and I have to remind myself that I loved quite a few books with insects in them, and even actually loved the insects in those books, like the cockroaches in Suzanne Collin's Gregor the Overlander series, and the insect-like alien Heckleck in Cecil Castellucci's Tin Star. So now I am definitely interested, it should at the very least be interesting because of how unique it is. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't be able to live without books.
    Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could not live without books! of course. I also really like my crochet hook, my dog and you know my family. It would be hard to live without them too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm reading it right now and I LOVE it. I have never quite read a voice like Austin's.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wasn't really interested in this at first because it's not the typical book I read (male author and POV intimidates me because I usually don't connect), but you're definitely changing my mind! It sounds like a refreshing book actually :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...