Monday, July 20, 2015

Review: Devoted by Jennifer Mathieu

Devoted Book Cover

Devoted by Jennifer Mathieu

Published: June 2, 2015 by Roaring Brook Press

About the Book:

Rachel Walker is devoted to God. She prays every day, attends Calvary Christian Church with her family, helps care for her five younger siblings, dresses modestly, and prepares herself to be a wife and mother who serves the Lord with joy. But Rachel is curious about the world her family has turned away from, and increasingly finds that neither the church nor her homeschool education has the answers she craves. Rachel has always found solace in her beliefs, but now she can't shake the feeling that her devotion might destroy her soul.




Review

Have you ever seen a movie or show and felt that the preview didn't do it justice? That's how I feel about the blurb for Devoted. Jennifer does such a fantastic job with Devoted that can't be conveyed in the blurb. Rachel Walker is a teenage girl who grows up in a devout household. She is taught to be careful of what she wears, says or even thinks, because it could be ungodly. At first I was worried that Devoted would be very one sided, but I really felt like we got to see the darker side of religion without the bashing. What if we were in this young girl's place and had questions about the bible?

Rachel and her younger sister take care of all of the household chores and kids in the family. My first thought was, how selfish, but I think I felt strongly about it because being Mexican-American I know families that had multiple children and the oldest kids were the ones who ended up taking care of the younger ones. I also know people who would tell their daughters that their only future is to be a housewife and mother.

Rachel starts to get online when her parents aren't looking and finds a girl who has left the church. At first Rachel just wants to reach out to someone who she can talk to about her questions and find out if she is wrong for feeling the way she does. What Rachel doesn't expect is to find a friend who understands her.

Devoted is different from most novels I have read and really made me think. Jennifer Mathieu does a great job of telling a story that is dark and in the end full of hope. I highly recommend Devoted!

To learn more about Jennifer Mathieu visit: www.jennifermathieu.com

2 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one!! (Why don't I have more hours in the day and where to go to order them?) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very curious about this book as well. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete